Gale Courey Toensing • December 21, 2009
Indian Country Today Network
MELBOURNE, Australia – While indigenous delegates from around the world were sidelined at the 15th United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change in Copenhagen, the collective voice of indigenous peoples at the 2009 Parliament of the World’s Religions was heard calling on the Pope to repudiate the Christian Doctrine of Discovery.
Religious Communities who have Repudiated the Doctrine of Discovery
- Social Policies of The United Church of Canada: Doctrine of Discovery (⤓ PDF download)
- We repudiate the Doctrine of Discovery, which asserted that lands belonged to the Christian powers that “discovered” them (offsite).
- Doctrine of Discovery Background (⤓ PDF download)
- Indigenous Justice Archive of the UCC (offsite)
- A Unitarian Universalist Resolution To Repudiate the Doctrine of Discovery, and Implement the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (⤓ PDF download)
- Motion from the Right Relationship Monitoring Committee for the UUA Board of Trustees meeting January 2012 (⤓ PDF download)
- Why We Are Offering This Resolution at General Assembly 2012 (⤓ PDF download)
- 2012 Responsive Resolution (⤓ PDF download)
Reflection on Christian Theology and Polity, the Christian Doctrine of Discovery, and the Indigenous Voice
That the General Assembly of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada, meeting, July 13-17, 2013, in Orlando, Florida, accept “Reflection on Christian Theology and Polity, the Christian Doctrine of Discovery, and the Indigenous Voice” as an Item for Reflection and Research during the 2013- 2015 biennium. This reflection and research process would be accountable by report to the Administrative Committee, the General Board, and the 2015 General Assembly.
Episcopal Church, USA Statements
Roman Catholic Organization Statements Repudiating the Doctrine of Discovery.
Doctrine of Discovery: A Review of Its Origins and Implications for Congregations in the PC(USA) and Support for Native American Sovereignty.
Eleventh Session of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues 7-18 May, 2012
Agenda Item 3 – May 8, 2012
Haudenosaunee Statement on the Construct Known as the Doctrine of Discovery, A History A Seat at the Table
- Minute on the Doctrine of Discovery, Approved July 25, 2012, New York Yearly Meeting Summer Sessions Silver Bay, New York (⤓ PDF Download)
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting (Religious Society of Friends) 2012, Indian Affairs Committee, Background Materials for Minute to Repudiate Doctrine of Discovery (⤓ PDF Download)
- A Minute to Repudiate the Doctrine of Discovery and to Affirm the U.N. Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Drafted by the Indigenous Peoples Concerns Committee, Approved by Boulder Friends Meeting on March 10, 2013 (⤓ PDF Download)
- Repudiating the Doctrine of Discovery: Some references and resources Prepared by Canadian Friends Service Committee March 2013 (⤓ PDF Download)
Resolution Number: 2009-D035 Title: Repudiate the Doctrine of Discovery Legislative Action Taken: Concurred as Substituted Final Text: